9 Box Grid
What is the 9 box grid?
The 9 box grid is a method for evaluating employees that splits and shows them over 9 major data points. It's a grid-based approach that assesses employees' performance and growth potential to place them in one of these nine segments.
Are 9 box grids outdated?
According to some modern marketers, 9 box grid may soon be replaced, and there are several reasons for it:
- The 9-grid is connected to a top-down approach
- The judgment is very personal and not fact-based
- The 9-grid is part of a prolonged talent identification process
- Only internal candidates are considered
As modern-day hiring is always on the go and pretty fluid, marketers feel it's essential to make the recruitment and selection processes more transparent.
How do you use a 9 box grid?
To use a 9-box grid, there are three steps to follow:
- Evaluate the performance of your employees.
- Evaluate the potential of your personnel.
- Create a 3x3 grid of performance and potential.
A total of 9 categories are created depending on the performance and potential of all employees.