Employee Performance Improvement Plan
What is an employee performance improvement plan?
An employee performance improvement plan (PIP) is a plan whereby underperforming employees are assisted in improving. It is a tool used to address lapses in performance to help the employee meet up with targets or improve their work-related behavior.
How do you write an employee performance improvement plan?
- Start with clarifying the area of the employee's performance that is below standard and recalling instances.
- Propose a strategy to improve the outlined areas.
- Ensure the goal of the PIP is SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-based).
- List out potential outcomes.
- Set a date for the PIP review.
When can you put an employee on PIP?
As the HR manager, when you observe an employee constantly struggling to meet up with tasks, decreased productivity and engagement, increased absenteeism and constant errors, such an employee should be placed on a PIP.