Personal Development Plan
What is a personal development plan?
A personal development plan (PDP) is the practice of consistently adding new skills, knowledge and competencies to yourself in areas of your choice. It is a clear and documented outline that shows what you aim to achieve to attain better fulfillment and growth. A personal development plan does not have to be restricted to your career alone, as it also concerns your finances, education, relationships and other interests.
What are the key elements of a personal development plan?
A personal development plan should include the following elements:
1. A clear reason showing why you want to achieve your plans.
2. A defined vision of where you want to be.
3. A defined timeframe to help you prioritize the different areas of your PDP.
4. The skills and resources you need to meet up with your plans.
5. Your expected milestones to keep you on track.
What is a personal development plan example?
A personal development plan could simply be 'Get a promotion at work next January'. To achieve this, you need a detailed plan to guide (documented) and steps to get the promotion. Such steps will include: taking a management training course, requesting a performance appraisal with HR, networking better with the line manager, etc.