It’s estimated that anywhere from ⅓ to 90% of all Fortune 500 companies use the 360s to gain relevant insights into their workforce’s work habits and provide feedback. This includes giant corporations like Google.
And you can do it, too – follow our 360 performance review template to get the most out of this performance improvement method.
360 review template you can use to improve performance management
At [Company Name], we believe in personal and professional growth. We value your unique perspective and insights and see them as a means to gaining a holistic understanding of the entire team and its individual members.
As part of our commitment to growth and development, we are conducting a 360-degree review of [Employee Name] to help them grow. Your input is crucial in shaping a comprehensive assessment of each employee’s impact and performance.
Please take a few moments to answer the attached questions honestly and thoughtfully. Your constructive criticism will provide valuable insights into [Employee Name]'s strengths and areas for improvement.
Remember that the purpose of this 360 is not to find fault. Instead, it serves as a constructive tool for growth and development. The collected employee feedback will be presented professionally and anonymously.
Thank you in advance for your participation. Your valuable feedback is essential in creating a culture of continuous improvement and collaboration.
When answering the questions listed below, use this simple scale to assess the quality of employee performance:
- 1 – Below expectations
- 2 – Needs improvement
- 3 – Meets expectations
- 4 – Exceeds expectations
- 5 – Outstanding
These are the competencies that you will be evaluating in this 360 performance review:
- Communication skill set and interpersonal skills
- Leadership and management
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Problem-solving and decision-making
- Time management and organization
360 performance review questions
We highly value both your positive and negative feedback. Wherever possible, please provide examples of situations in which you’ve witnessed these behaviors of [Employee Name]. Feel free to go into detail about your opinions. Otherwise, a simple numerical answer based on the rating scale above is also appreciated.
Communication skill set
- How effectively does the individual listen and understand others' viewpoints?
- How skilled are they in adapting their communication style to different audiences?
- How well do they convey complex information in an easily understandable way?
Leadership and management
- How effectively do they delegate tasks and responsibilities to team members?
- How skilled are they in resolving conflicts and fostering a positive team environment?
- How strategic are their thinking and planning in achieving long-term objectives?
Adaptability and flexibility
- How resilient are they in coping with setbacks or challenges?
- How well does the individual handle changes in work demands or unexpected situations?
- How open are they to new approaches and ideas?
Problem-solving and decision-making
- How successful are they in evaluating risks and making informed decisions?
- How well do they consider different perspectives before making decisions?
- How skilled is the individual in analyzing complex problems and identifying root causes?
Time management and organization
- How effectively does the individual prioritize tasks and meet deadlines?
- How well do they plan and organize their workload to maximize productivity?
- How efficiently do they handle multiple tasks or projects simultaneously?
Check this article for more examples of 360 questions.
Development and growth
Image source: Freepik
At [Company Name], we believe in fostering continuous growth and development amongst our team. We encourage you to suggest development opportunities or training programs to benefit your peer's professional growth. Your insights will help shape a personalized development plan to enhance their skills and capabilities.
Please provide your suggestions or recommendations in the space below:
- Are there any specific training programs, workshops or courses you’d recommend to enhance [Employee Name]'s skills or knowledge?
- Are there areas where you believe the individual could benefit from additional coaching or mentoring to develop their capabilities further?
- Do you have any suggestions for resources, books or online materials to support the individual's growth in specific areas?
Please provide an overall recommendation or rating of the individual's performance based on your perception and experience of working with them.
Example response options:
- Highly recommend
- Not recommend
Alternatively, you can use a numerical scale, such as 1-5, to gather a quantitative measure of the overall recommendation or rating. For example: “Please rate the individual's work contribution and overall performance on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being the lowest and 5 the highest.”
Wrapping up the 360 review
Remember to finish off by acknowledging the input of each person providing feedback. This can be a simple sentence at the end of the survey. Here are some examples:
- Thank you for your valuable contributions!
- Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable performance feedback.
- Your input is vital in helping us comprehensively assess the employee's strengths and support their growth and development.
- We greatly appreciate your candid and constructive feedback. Your responses will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and used solely for the purpose of enhancing individual and organizational effectiveness.
- We value your commitment to the growth and success of our team members. If you have any additional comments you would like to share, please feel free to include them in the space provided below.
A solid 360 review template is a simple and effective option for gathering employee feedback within your company. The results from this kind of questionnaire will give you a better understanding of the relationships within your organization and each team member’s effectiveness.
When constructing your 360 performance reviews, remember to tailor questions to your needs. Opt mostly for less time-consuming close-ended questions, but leave some space for specific comments and employee insights. This combination will give you good, well-rounded input.
What is a 360 review template?
A 360 performance review template is a structured framework with a set of questions or criteria used for gathering feedback from multiple sources about an employee's performance. The template typically includes an analysis of a range of competencies, skills, behaviors, or other job-specific criteria relevant to the employee's job.
What should a 360 review include?
360 reviews should give comprehensive, well-rounded insight into an employee's work performance. It should include elements such as:
- Feedback from the employee's manager and other superiors
- Peer feedback
- Subordinate feedback (if applicable)
- Feedback from external stakeholders or even customers
- Evaluation of competencies
- Strengths recognition
- Areas for improvement
- Development plan
- Follow-up and support
What questions should I ask for 360 feedback?
The questions you'll include vary depending on your organization's needs, human resources, and goals. Remember to customize the template so that the review process aligns with each employee’s particular role and responsibilities.
Multi-directional feedback is most valuable when it reflects the relevant aspects of their performance. You can work on our template, but make sure to adjust it to your organization or even each team member.